Thursday 26 July 2018

Unwitting energy vampires

As I have started a new role, I am clearly meeting new people. On the whole, I like my new job a lot - larger companies with proper departments for things, great boss, friendly and capable colleagues.

The thing is with my company, though, is that it has seen a lot of change in recent years. Some major acquisitions, new board members and senior staff, and an influx of 80 staff to a team of around 25, along with a transition to a new CEO from one who was, well, 'autocratic' would be the generous term.

The end result of this is that there's been tumultuous change which has created 'history'. Everyone in the company - or at least, everyone who has been there for a while - is keen to tell me about the history, or sometimes, put in other diplomatic terms - 'context', or insights. I find these things useful to the extent that they provide perspective, but these have sometimes devolved into politics.

On that topic, I have a new colleague who (awkwardly) is actually doing the role I've been hired for. She is a contractor selected by the board for a discrete piece of work (which she has very ably delivered in trying circumstances), but it was decided (by who, I'm not sure) that she's not the right longer term fit for the business - hence, my appointment.

Now, she has taken this extremely well. I think she may be somewhat confused, but has coped with integrity and is still clearly committed to getting great outcomes for the business. Brava.

The thing is with this woman... she is an energy vampire and doesn't know it.

She is extremely engaging, knowledgable and hard working. However, in the few short days I've been working with her, I feel like a need a Stackhat and a packed lunch for every meeting, and after every interaction, well, sometimes I could take a nap.

She's just flying around, a million miles a minute, and so involved with  - and obsessed over - every tiny piece of detail which I'm not sure matters. She makes things needlessly complex and loves gossip or 'uncovering' dramas or issues. Nearly every conversation I have had with her - even ones that are driven by simple questions - devolve into whispers and eventually end in a private meeting room where she can tell me 'what's really going on'.

I don't think she deliberately sets out to be confrontational or intense, but she is. And it's reminding me of one of my new career resolutions - thou shalt not give away emotional energy. To manage this, I actually (subtly of course) imagine a barrier between her and I where I can hear what she's saying but not engage too much.

Any tips for people like this? The above tactic is working somewhat, but I feel like she's encroaching on my time in such an unproductive way!

No comments:

Post a Comment